Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by IAmNomad, 22 May 2008.

1. IAmNomad Ex-Leader

Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

Good Day, all--

I've been noticing that some of our servers are quite empty, and have been wondering why. It's a problem because we are wasting a lot of server space that the clan is paying for, and besides, it doesn't look good that servers that have the [GM] tag on them are empty. If no one is using GM servers, people think, then GM servers must not be worth using.

While part of the problem may be, to some degree, the maps we are running on the servers, another part of it is simply a lack of friends. People like to join servers that have people on them that they know and have played with before.

First, I would like to encourage all of you to be as friendly, outgoing, and helpful as possible towards users of our servers, and then use "friends invites" to make them Steam friends. Thank them for using GM's servers and ask them to come back. When you are playing on a GM server, and you see them come online again, invite them to join your game. (Try to do this without seeming gay.)

Another helpful thing to do is to wait until a server is mostly (90%) full, then persuade 4 or 6 people to move to an empty server, to "jump-start" it. The idea would be that more people would eventually trickle onto the second server, while the previous server would continue to remain full.

I realize some of this sounds kind of corny and silly, but it can't hurt. But if we all make a small effort together, we can move mountains. And then blow them up. :D

I Am Nomad and Making Friends is Neat-o! And Not Gay! Not That There's Anything Wrong With That!!!

2. Re: Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

I'll do my best.

Also if 4/6 players is on a server, everyone starts coming in!

Edit:
    I notice this when I'm at college, it starts getting full(not all) after lunch.

also I'm thinking maybe we should to go on other popular servers and talk to some players and make friends over there.

3. Re: Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

Good ideas make sure that on other servers you invite them back to our patch :-)

4. Re: Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

Good idea Nomad,
    a problem we have at GM is that you can hardly play something else than goldrush and dustbowl.

I would recommend at least 2 servers running all maps with votemap. (or one server for each gametype: tc, ctf, ... i don't know how much gametypes exist out there). And the not so popular types could be aggregated to one server... To only Problem: We do have one all maps server but whenever i looked it up, there was noone playing on it.

The problem is, that we have to meet the demands of our visitors.
    I think the problem araised even before we got the new dedi, cause we had dustbowl nearly 24/7 on all servers, so all players that want to play more different maps went on to find other servers with more different maps.

So it's now our task to get the all/map server full, and when we get known for having good servers that don't run dustbowl and goldrush they will start to fill themselves, and then we may use a second or third server for allmaps (looking forward to that)

@Nomad: thanks for raising this topic!!! I'll do my best to invite friends.

5. Re: Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

I'll agree with having vote map tuned on on a few servers, Including the custom maps one, I have seen a few people try RTV and leave because they can't change the map :-)

6. Re: Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

I bet in a few months time, we'll be full most of the time. and don't forget that these servers are new still.

I sometime ask players on the server, do you have the other 7 servers IP's(the one's for all players) and alot of them don't have it. So I told them to check my community group on my Steam page or go to gamingmasters.org.

Also we need some research, like maybe a public poll on our website.
    so the guests can take the poll.

e.g
    How did you find us?
    *Recommended from a friend.
    *Recommended from a GM player.
    *Played on your server.

etc....

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Nov 2013
  7. Re: Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

One thing we could all do is whilst our servers are still new is, have at least 10 GM members join server 1 and wait for it to get full. Then all gradually join the 2nd server and do the same with the rest.

Of course this takes time, but it's a good way of filling the servers.

In a month hopefully our servers will start to fill themselves as long as we can get them populated most of the time beforehand.

8. Re: Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

could someone get that !servers/!swapme working, I think that would help (and thank you if you can do this, I haven't the faintest idea!)

9. Re: Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

i have no idea of sourcemod, but i'd like to see the plugin ;)

10. Re: Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

I've disabled the radio and the quake sounds. This means there will not be any files to download before joining the GM servers and hopefully this will get more people to join more quickly.

11. Re: Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

yeah that might help, cos ppl hate waiting while download other things, u knw

12. Re: Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

I'm a BIG supporter on being able to vote for a map. Don't get me wrong, I love the GM servers, but I'm really getting sick of Dustbowl and Goldrush :)

13. Re: Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

how about

server 1 - all maps
    server 2 - 2fort? (i must say that some ppl are sick of it, but it popular map and ppl will play on it, if there are players on it!)
    server 3 - pl_goldrush
    server 4 - pl_goldrush
    server 5 - cp_dustbowl
    server 6 - cp_dustbowl
    server 7 - Custom maps (give it a go guys, i mean play on it!)

:roll:

14. Re: Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

server 1 - all maps, custom included.
    server 2 - pl_dustbowl, koth maps, maptesting.
    server 3 - pl_goldrush
    server 4 - pl_goldrush
    server 5 - cp_dustbowl
    server 6 - cp_dustbowl

;)

15. Re: Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

dude you miss out server 7 :o

:lol:

or unless you decide not to have server 7 on.

btw is the castle map on the custom one? i miss playing that map, play on that map twice for 1/2 hours. but I never seen it agen?

16. Re: Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

Sounds good but maybe server 2 defaulted to 2fort and server 6 to well/granary/badlands etc.?

17. Re: Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

yes ofc ;)
    wait a sec.
    server 1 - all maps, custom included, mostly pl_dustbowl ;)
    server 2 - defaulted 2fort, but custom too.
    server 3 - pl_goldrush
    server 4 - cp_dustbowl/pl_goldrush *CHANGING*
    server 5 - cp_dustbowl
    server 6 - well/granary (CP)

18. Re: Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

Sounds awesome :D

And it lets us have just 6 public servers so we shouldn't see as much lag as before with all 7 full.

19. Re: Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

and i'd say make the granary/well 24 players, it's just pure spam if you don't ;)

20. Bun

Re: Horrible Feeling of Great Emptiness

I love you Waebi. <3

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. feeling great to horrible