I can't be the only one thinking this...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Th-, 11 Mar 2009.

1. Th-

I can't be the only one thinking this...

Having followed the global events these past few years, we are known to have two large problems: The global financial crisis and the climate chance.

I'm not an expert on either of the subjects, but I believe I can sum both problems with just a few key points:
    1) Economy is shrinking, because people don't have real money to spend (instead they've spent lots of loans, which is the primary reason for the situation in US)
    2) Old systems, old habits and old infrastructure tax the environment too much, which results in the ongoing potentially very dangerous climate change.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't governments tackle both problems the same time by creating a huge number of jobs, required education/training opportunities and appropriate infrastructure in the form of several local/national/international efforts to work on an aspect of the climate problem? Since the environment is so big (read: the world), doesn't it have opportunities for every human on the planet?

Work with seas, work with forests, work with food creation, clearing pollution on land air and water, improving green technology, building green infrastructure, recycling more, demolishing old and creating new power supply, maintaining and recreating rainforests, etc etc.

Making all these jobs happen would require a massive effort, resulting in literally millions of new jobs. With that kind of effort even the environment however large it is would start to improve in a notable pace. As a side-effect, the new jobs would simply boost the employment ratings and get money flowing throughout the economy.

Why have I not seen discussions about this anywhere yet? Anyone?

As a final note, I don't understand why this is considered such a "crisis"... I mean damn, there are 7 billion of us... Nations just need to ask everyone to participate in the common effort. I live in a small country but 5 million small daily acts let alone a yearly period like "a climate week" must count for something, right?

2. Re: I can't be the only one thinking this...

But what about the overwhelming financial cost of employing those people? What would their job be specifically and what kind of product or service would they offer that would make money in order to fund those wages and the companies themselves?

I've thought about this a lot too (because I'm sad enough to like economics and how people think we can change the environment), and in my opinion the biggest problem with the modern society is: computers. Yes I said it -- computers are taking away jobs from people -- like the post office: it has a huge sorting machine that looks at each letter and puts them into districts of where it is to be sent; but when the post office first opened this was all done by hand. Many people's jobs have been made redundant this way. People can argue that computers also create jobs, but a lot of manual, less skilled jobs are made redundant with the introduction of a more efficient machine/ computer, and not everyone has the capacity to deal with a highly skilled job.

Just my input for now :P

Savage

3. Th-

Re: I can't be the only one thinking this...

Well said, good points of view

At first the government would have to invest a lot of money to create the jobs ofc. The money paid for employees would then come back in the form of taxes and the greener infrastructure/technology/service, meaning that people would have to replace their existing assets and this would pay at least some of the wages. I wish I knew more since the calculations to make this system balanced are undoubtedly tedious.

Should also be noted that greener=savings in some cases. For instance I heard UK could save a damned amount of energy (=money and environment) by investing in energy-efficient buildings' construction. I recently read that English houses waste a lot of energy used for heating.

Can you think of other examples?

4. Th-

Btw one example might be found in Finland...

You might have heard that we have one of the most expensive taxing system in place. I was told the VAT tax results in about the same amount of income to the state as the upholding of the VAT system costs. We could see if that tax were removed. Result would be 20% more purchase power for each taxpayer, compensating well over the lost jobs in authorities lost jobs/salaries.

5. Ash

I think the media are making a bigger thing out of this then it really is to be honest.. I mean everyones like "OMGZ JOBS ARE RUNNING OUT.. EVERYONES GETTING LAID OFF AND WE ARE ALL GUNNA BE LIVING ON THE STREETS!" < and they use caps to cause panic right..

But I just got a new job today moving from my old job, my job is a highly skilled job though I guess.. but im in a industry where there is loads of 3D modellers struggling to find work even without the ressession.. but one of my mates starts his job next week.. he went down are local highstreet.. and just asked in about 15 shops if they had any work going and about 6 of them said yes.. thats not exactly chrisis when it took him a day just to go ask.. lol.

I do live in South London though so theres alot of jobs here.. but theres also alot of people so it balances out.. don't know how it is everywhere else though?

6. Re: I can't be the only one thinking this...

The Economical crisis is easy to some up, the stupid Americans giving mortgages to people on Wellfare/ The Dole, which is just completely idiotic.

In regards to the climate change, everyone on the planet is at fault, but the main infractions go to the USA, Russia, Chinese, Japan, germany and India. These countries are the largest polluters on the planet with China in 1st place followed by the Americans, Russia and India.

Also Cows farting, causes are large amount of pollution each year!

7. Re: I can't be the only one thinking this...

you forgot england dannykilla
    the way were going isnt bad
    the well developed countrys are on a good way (electrically powered cars, researching new energys...)
    the problem is the media
    it shows lots of things that arent true!
    for example a energy safing light bulb doesnt save any energy, to build windmills and solar power plant you need more energy to build it than it will ever produce
    Media says "hey lets do something, maybe we turn off everything that needs energy" :shock: --- and the power plant isnt turned off.... wow thats effective

not well developed countrys are the problem... no filter in cars and in factorys for example

8. Re: I can't be the only one thinking this...

The Bank of England has decided to set off on a policy of quantitative easing, basically generating lots of money to stimulate growth in the ecomomy. The Japanese tried it, a few years ago when they had big problems. Fingers crossed it will work, however some people are very doubtful...

Savage is a Luddite and he knows it :lol:

9. Re: I can't be the only one thinking this...

I'm amish at heart, what can I say? :P

As for the reduction in VAT -- In the UK they've reduced VAT by 2.5% to 15%... It doesn't seem to have done a lot: saving a few pennies when I buy a sandwich isn't going to make me go out and buy loads of expensive stuff. :|

+1 to the media hype -- think about the depression in 1929: there weren't many TVs about and the media didn't have as much of a hold on things and they pulled though it ok... Let's just hope that we get out of whatever this is we are in at the moment...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)