KpD and server ranking.

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2' started by BuxomWench, 18 Aug 2008.

1. Re: KpD and server ranking.

Also, with all the new maps coming out, and different gamemodes, I think a suitable map for a 1v1 recruitment system would be in reach.

Great idea

You could also mix things up; 3 recruits vs 3 GM's, etc :)

2. Re: KpD and server ranking.

quote:
    Ultima V|RUZ, Steam forums admin:
    1 vs 1 isn't a good comparison of skill, especially since it's a team oriented game. Also, nobody cares about your skills.
    Especially me. Don't remake this thread or anything like this thread or I'll show you my banning skills 1 vs 1.

duel_duel2 = duel map, very nice one.

i smell flaming :P

3. Re: KpD and server ranking.

Thanks for the reponses so far :)

I am hoping that if ok'd the one v one match trial could look and sound something like this :

[youtube:26s3z4xn]XyhhFzE5O5U[/youtube:26s3z4xn]

@ Ana - I thinking the prospective GM should have access to all classes as it would allow them to formulate any strategy they wish to use to win.

I am liking the 3v3 game as well could be a second test for team play skills! :o

Just to recap proposal - 3 clear elements to be a full GM Member:-

1 Top 50-75? on server - shows that you are an active player on our servers - and reflects well if you are a medic - lots of points can be earned as a medic, you know it, I know it :)
    2 Trial by combat - to show indiviual skill / tactical and decision making process - also shows how you play under pressure! + great enterainment value - better then watching Eastenders :)
    3 Kpd maybe - this is the contensious one and could be excluded - I don't know what is adequte 1.4 say? - I am not going to debate this here I think GM leader/duputies should decide but if part of selection process it should be reasonable and clear to everyone.

Once you have a clear system of recruiting I think existing members will be happier, and I think prospective members will be happier as they know what to aim for and when to ask for membership.

I know the 2/3 criteria above looks hard to new members - but maybe joining GM shouldn't be that easy and will mean something to you and other players :)

Don't forget everyone is welcome to join the |gm| community and is possitively encourged to do so.

Good Luck

Disco

4. Re: KpD and server ranking.

Athough I am just a recruit atm so nothing I say matters, I just want to point out that Goldrush cart pushing adds an extra dimension to a simple "duel" - there is a duelling element and the cart to think about.

It adds an extra dimension of decision making, and just what a clan is looking for in a player, aim/movement/anticipation but always within context of the broader map goals. It aso means the defender can ambush, in short it gives the GM member the initiative over the triallist which helps put the "trial" in "trial by combat".

5. Re: KpD and server ranking.

Yep, medics can get points if they latch onto a certain player that has a high kill ratio and don't bother with anyone else. Or as another example I've seen, building up ubers on engis then ubering them to gain the 10 points or what-ever it is per uber.

Wonderful examples of a team player.

How is 1vs1 a display of a good team player?
    Why not? that was the point of the thread?

So even though you wont directly say it and from the above I take it that from your point of view Kpd and server rankings are an example of a good player?

Don't get me wrong I'm not mithering or asking to become part of your clan, I have no interest in matches. I just enjoy the GM and most of the time have fun playing with you guys. I was curious to how your clan thought about things.

Btw... why do GMs usually all stack onto one team apart from the odd one or two that will level things out?

6. Re: KpD and server ranking.

Having tried (and failed) to train guys up for 4v4 leagues many years ago, I can say 1v1 skills correlate to teamplay ability to some extent. While not all good team players make good 1v1 players, ALL good 1v1 players make good team players (when they apply themselves and listen to instructions).

7. Re: KpD and server ranking.

I've had a lot of fun when the servers have been fairly empty during the day, and we end up with roughly 3v3 - there's much more attention on you as a player, which forces you to think about tactics and teamplay a lot more, as opposed to just spamming grenades in the general direction of the opposing team (my usual approach, I'm ashamed to admit).

8. Re: KpD and server ranking.

garion I play with buxom a lot (not like that you dirty sods!) and her good amigo too so this was purely tongue in cheek, was not being serious!

9. Re: KpD and server ranking.

ok, my appologies, Guinny :)

10. Re: KpD and server ranking. - Trial by combat!!!

Sounds like a good idea to me. In order for this to be fair and square it should be a map such as duel_duel2 or an arena map, 1 vs 1 and the same class.

1 vs 1 as in the recruit vs a "good" GM player, but then again, skill is relative so you can't really say for sure how good someone is.

11. Re: KpD and server ranking.

why didn't i see/read this topic earlier?

@ Disco: The 1vs1 cart-pushing idea has some problems imho:

1) If the GM-R has to play against Th: no way; if he/she plays against Myke: much easier.
    2) If you are used to play medic, engie, spy you're doomed since it's a just some kind of deathmatch: see 4)
    3) "One should be able to play every class": i don't agree with that. Pro players are spezialized and don't play the class that suits the sutiation best. (i agree with waebi: try every class to find your strongest and spezialize on max. 3. I personally play just 2 classes frequently -> therefore i don't even have any achievements so far)
    4) There is no tactic involved: kill opponent, push cart, kill opponent, ...

The best idea so far was proposed by Confirmed 4 Brawl i think: 3vs3.

I also think that it is a good way to test players by leting them play as subs in our clan's 6vs6 matches. Like i use Tonkamania as Demo-sub next week.

12. Re: KpD and server ranking.

Well tonight, it was myself, disco, geit, anathema, th, tricky and others and we played the duel_duel2 map. We played as demoman, scout and soldier in 1vs1 and it worked really well.

Afterwards we played arena_lumberjack 3vs3 and that worked well too.

So I would say the duel_duel2 map 1vs1 to test for individual skill.

An arena map 3vs3 to test teamplay and communication.

Another good map is ctf_bball2, where you rocket jump and have to place the intel into the hoop, like basketball.

Any thoughts?

13. Re: KpD and server ranking.

not sure what i should think about the 1vs1 on duel_duel2:
    - If you win the first round you can camp the ONLY entrance of your enemy
    - Was designed for soli cup, but is not suitable to find out individual skill on: medic, heavy, sniper, engi, spy, demo(win first round, sticky the door from then)
    - Ping matters in such small maps without obstacles

Some thoughts:
    - Every recruit has to apply for 2 classes: Primary, Secondary
    - For each class exist 2-3ppl (class-experts) within GM that rate the skill of the recruit
    - To rate the skill of the recruit the class-experts have to think of how to measure the skill. Can be multiple events like:

for soli you need:
    - to be able to complete bestinclass_v2 in 5minutes
    - play against an expert in duel_duel2
    - work together with a medic in arena_granay in a 2vs2
    - play one pug while an expert is watching

after that there is a:
    - accepted
    - rejected (because: reasons why players was rejected, till: give him time to improve on that and give second(third) chance to show improvements)

14. Re: KpD and server ranking.

Okay but in the duel_duel2 map both players must "double jump" to indicate they are ready for battle so you can't just camp and we tried scout vs scout, demo vs demo earlier too and it worked pretty well :)

15. Re: KpD and server ranking.

I strongly disagree with having to be able to finish bestinclass.
    Most jumps in it are pointles, as they will never be realistically used in matches.

16. Re: KpD and server ranking.

that is true, BUT it is a good thing to test if you are good at crouchjumping. If you are not and just 50% of your crouchjumps work, you won't be able to do the wallclimb. Therefore i still think it is a good think to see, if player has high percentage of successfull crouchjumps. But it is just an idea.

17. Re: KpD and server ranking.

Any testing, in any sphere of human experience, must closely resemble the real life situation.

So if you want league-winning players, the best test is to organise matches with good clans and have new members step in. Observers and team mates will quickly know if the recruit is up to the task.

I get the sense Disco's original suggestion was for a fun added extra, it's threatening to turn into the Team Fortress 2 Jedi Academy and you can be rejected for not being able to complete the Rocketeer Advanced map while wearing a blindfold, using only the spade and without touching the mouse on a full moon with one bollock clamped in a vice while stating on ventrilo the five main reasons for the collapse of the feudal system in medieval europe. If you can do that, you're in son.

*edit* I might just add the new Arena game mode with maybe 5 or 6 a-side feels a lot like an intense match

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)