(NEW POLL) Future of the forum

Discussion in 'Server/Website Chat' started by Dark, 15 Oct 2009.

?

$150 no matter which way we go - read below before voting.

1. Stay on vBulletin 3.8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Upgrade to vBulletin 4.0

63.2%
  3. Move to IP.Board 3.0

36.8%
  1. Re: (NEW POLL) Future of the forum

In other news, vB4 should have a demo by "next week" and IPB a new package deal by Nov 2nd.

2. Gaw discord is my friend now

Re: (NEW POLL) Future of the forum

Wait until this current license expires, then pay the $150 (100euro) to go to v4. The v4 will last for about two years. Risky switching forum software and having to do fucking everything to get it working to an acceptable standard again..

3. Re: (NEW POLL) Future of the forum

vB4 might as well be a completely new software considering that we will be in the same situation with re-writing stuff as if we moved to IPB.

Also by the time our license expires, the pre-order period will be over and the price of vB4 will double.

4. Gaw discord is my friend now

God damn it..

5. Re: (NEW POLL) Future of the forum

There is still a chance for us to go with vB4 though - $130 to renew our license indefinitely until 5.0 AND get the full publishing suite (CMS, Blogs etc.)

We'll soon see when they bother to release a demo...

Also for some reason I'm starting to think IPB is like PhpBB, but with a lot fewer mods. In fact, something like 30 mods exist compared to thousands for vB. Even vB4 should have a fair few more.

6. Re: (NEW POLL) Future of the forum

I was just reading the first two pages of that thread when it got moved to some hidden area. Not promising. :|

On a side-note, I'm tempted not to vote as I do not have much knowledge with regards to forum software. However, these VB people seem to not be particularly...consumer friendly.

7. Re: (NEW POLL) Future of the forum

It's been moved to "Licensed Customer Feedback" so only I can read it :(

Also I've changed my mind. Something about IPB doesn't feel right.

It's like Windows vs Mac - vBulletin vs IPB (respectively). Windows feels better even with the odds stacked against it (not counting popularity).

8. Gaw discord is my friend now

vBulletin is like the brand product.. Versus shit like aldi and lidl :P

9. Spykodemon Disabled account

Yeah but the thing is, the man who owns Lidl and the man who owns Aldi are both brothers.

10. Rondon Ruff Ruff is Rondon

No that is wrong lidl is owned by some random guy.
    Aldi north and south are owned by bros :D

11. Gaw discord is my friend now

No you're wrong, spykodemon is right.. It doesn't matter anways, Make a god damn aldi/lidl thread if you want, this is for the forum software upgrade.

12. Spykodemon Disabled account

No one of the brothers has a different surname.

13. Re: (NEW POLL) Future of the forum

Sainsbury's is better.

Anyways upgrade to IPB :P It just looks and feels so much cleaner

14. Re: (NEW POLL) Future of the forum

The admin panel looks and feels like PhpBB though :P

vB makes great use of <frameset> in it's admin panel and stuffs everything together in one sidebar, which is quite handy imo

And from what I can see, IPB3 has something like 30 mods, while vB has hundreds :P

Yes the hundreds of mods are for 3.8, but many of them are actively developed and will almost certainly be made compatible with 4.

15. Gaw discord is my friend now

vBulletin v4 has a nice ring to it

16. Re: (NEW POLL) Future of the forum

And that too :P

17. Re: (NEW POLL) Future of the forum

so what was the *hidden*cost of rip off on vb4?

I thought it $60 for upgrade.

18. Re: (NEW POLL) Future of the forum

$130 to upgrade to the publishing suite now, which includes a full vB4 license that will not expire.

Or we can use our "free" upgrade to the board-only package and have to pay $200ish come March 2010 when our license expires.

19. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

Why not phpBB ?

phpBB is fun imo, good for admin's health, you wont get fat and decayed that way Dark, because you're so busy all the time fixing some code corners that are about to collapse/break -> for ze lulz: do it, maggot !!!

20. Re: (NEW POLL) Future of the forum

Fuck no, PhpBB has no hooks at all - all mods are done directly to the codebase.

And the admin panel looks and operates like bullshit.

And we used to be on it before vBulletin and we wouldn't have changed if we were satisfied :P

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)