Piracy topic

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Yuuki, 8 Sep 2009.

1. Re: What's your home page?

Games still need at least enough protection to stop people copying the disc and giving it to someone.

2. Re: What's your home page?

I don't agree here.
    What if I need god damned backup copy because my retail disc is scratched?
    After all, I bought it and it's mine, right?
    @Reag:
    I'm always having the same problem with F.E.A.R...

3. Fromage "The Cheese"

Re: What's your home page?

I totally agree. Protection of any kind is fail, the less the better. and for some reason the protection works against the people who buy it, not the ones who download it. Same goes for DVDs, don't mind watching the "dont pirate this disk" but hey, I already bought it so I don't care?

Still thats not an argument not to download the game though, if you want a change then just convince enough people not to buy it and not to copy it and something will definitly happen. As long as people say " im just gonna download it because of the protection" then its gonna call for even more stupid anti-piracy protections (

I just remember when spore came out with the 3 installs in a lifetime, sure it was stupid but torrenting it instead? come on, just don't play it.

Erik

4. Re: What's your home page?

+1
    What do you think of annoying CD keys?

5. Poxie Ray-Banned

Although I'm not against piracy itself, massive software firms, I dislike downloading music, movies, games and other arts. With music people say "Oh they earn enough anyway" maybe so but they are still writing the music you love and listen to, where's the gratitude? Same with games and movies. People spend years developing and designing games or directing and writing movies, for your sole enjoyment. Do they not deserve some reward for all their effort and your fun and enjoyment?

Take Cheezy for example. He spends a year or so modelling and animating characters for a new game. It's released and it's a great game. But then before you know it he's hit by a massive goat.

That is all.

6. Fromage "The Cheese"

I love CD-keys. Thats the only remaining thing that is stopping the massive piracy going on on the PC. Sure there are cracked servers out there but you cannot play on legit servers without a valid CD-key.

Erik

7. Fromage "The Cheese"

Nicely written mr poxie. :)

Well if people think that a certain PC game are too expensive/bad then I'd rather see people not playing the games at all than to torrent it and blame the price/- or that it sucks. A demo should be fairly enough to judge if you want it or not... but don't download it witout paying. You can't just go into a store and taste everything 100% free and pay for the things you like.

You will most likely make good and bad purchases for anything you buy (electronics, clothes, food etc.) but that don't justify "criminal" actions. Just deal with it and try to make a better purchase next time. Since PC-games, music etc isn't that much of an investment you should still feel like a bad PC game is better loss than a bad car (price-wise.)

Erik

8. Re: What's your home page?

Well, online activation would be much better imho.

9. Fromage "The Cheese"

An online activation can probably be cracked, and what would the difference be? I like the steam idea though, put in your code once and there it is, in your account. That's fine if thats what you meant?

Erik

10. Re: What's your home page?

Pretty much anything can be cracked, apart from authentication with servers. So there pretty much needs to be online content which forms a compelling reason to buy the game rather than download.

11. Poxie Ray-Banned

Things like Steam are DRM in itself really, a very good form of DRM. Stops your CD-Key from being stolen and dupe'd for use by someone else.

12. Re: What's your home page?

Yeah that's what I meant. :P
    @Poxie:
    Like... Steamworks CEG? Right? :)

13. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

Piracy topic

You do know steam can be cracked to accept any key, even fake ones. :awesome:

14. Fromage "The Cheese"

But you cannot play against real servers with them, right? In that case I guess the VAC system will kick in or you use "real" keys so someone else get a corrupt one? Either one of them and both are equally wrong.

Erik

15. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

You can, but they also need to be cracked.

16. Re: What's your home page?

Nah.
    It doesn't matter if you have game on your list, you have to OWN it.
    http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/publishingservices.php#CEG
    Otherwise you'll get one of these nice "Can't play" messages. :)

I remember people bragging that they have "unreleased" games on their list and that they can play them. (So called ValveTestApps) Well... Reality is rather cruel because in most cases, development content is not available on Steam servers (yes, you are hosting it yourself). Plus, look. I'm dev of TLOA and I own it, i can't play it on normal Steam client. :)
    [​IMG]

I have to use development version. :)
    That's why I want to say: I love you Valve, I love you Steam. ^^

17. Fromage "The Cheese"

hehe... well i managed to start a big flame war here, shouldn't really post my warez thoughts in threads like this. :)

Erik

18. Fromage "The Cheese"

19. Re: What's your home page?

Yes Erik, but...
    + Last.fm is cheaper, and I've already built my library. :)

E: Changed homepage to http://google.co.jp/

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)