prop_static or prop_dynamic ?

Discussion in 'PropHunt' started by pascal, 13 Feb 2010.

1. pascal mapper

prop_static or prop_dynamic ?

prop_static or prop_dynamic to use in the map ?

i don`t get it
    you place static props in your map and the server see in your map and see all the props so alot of tree`s so no truck are in the map then chose the server only the tree props?
    or must all the props have dynamic props? place in the map??
    or you place static props but the have in the (info)dynamic??

( sorry for my bad English!!)

Pascal

2. Geit Coding wizard!

Prop_statics are handled by the client and do not get networked, therefore they can't be modified by the server.
    Prop_dynamic is networked so it can be modified by the server.

You should only use prop_dynamic when you know what you are going to do with it, or the model you are using requires it. (Warehouse uses only prop_dynamics for the randomiser)

3. Cookies4you Crippling Pickling Prickling Disorder

hint. stick with dynamic. we dont want this happening with static

That is why dynamic is used, not static

There's only one flaw about Dynamic

Noob: OMFG FLYING BARREL HAX! OMFG BARREL KILL ME! LAG OMFG!

4. pascal mapper

okey eumm thanks!

5. Geit Coding wizard!

Cookie, your explanation doesn't make much sense. :P

Each type has it's own advantages over the other, For example: Prop_static is good for props that never need to be changed and can be controlled by an individual client rather than having it networked, which is taxing on bandwidth and processing power, Whereas a prop_dynamic is good for if you want the prop moving, changing or doing any of the other possible functions.

6. Cookies4you Crippling Pickling Prickling Disorder

i'll say it again in simpler terms

Static: You hit moving barrel, barrel move. No one else see barrel move but you
    Dynamic: You hit moving barrel, barrel move. Everyone see barrel move

7. Geit Coding wizard!

Incorrect. The hint is in the name... Static = Does NOT move.. at all.

8. pascal mapper

prop_phy can move as you tuts the object/prop and dynamic can chance look tho the cp`s are all dynamic the chance coler on capping

9. Cookies4you Crippling Pickling Prickling Disorder

i've really gotta stop depending on the posts of users on steam

yes, im pretty sure the control point is dynamic

10. Some of this is true, actually

prop_static is the default mode for most prop and to use for geometry not supposed to change in any way. It's the most efficient one, doesn't project dynamic shadows, but can have a vertex lighting map if the map is compiled with the specific option. In tf2, it's basically all the scenery props
    Prop_dynamic is for props that must be arbitrary altered, such enabled/disabled, change skin color or simply move by being parented to something. It can project dynamic shadows but must be vertex lit. The capture point, the grate/moving door are example of prop_dynamic.
    Prop_physic is like the dynamic but can interact will all the physic engine, so it can be moved by different imput, can collide with the environnement etc. This can be used for small objects, like barrels, bootles, etc or things like the cart (to let them fall at the end of a map)

Prop_dynamic and physic are highly more resource consuming than prop_static (I didn't tell about prop_detail, these are things generated like grass) so they should be used only if they have to play a specific role, unless the prop itself wasn't compiled with other options (like the pickaxe, fireaxe, etc) in those case you may use prop_dynamic_override, or prop_physic_override

11. Geit Coding wizard!

Dynamic is only (excessivly) more taxing when your doing something with it, which is why Warehouse runs so well even though almost every prop is dynamic. (And there's only 2 areaportals. :P)

12. Well areaportals don't really matter in this case, they only are useful to hide portions of the map like the normal visleaf system. I don't know how many props are displayed in warehouse, but perf impact usually results from an array of causes, if the geometry itself is quite simple, the various game effect are limited etc, and the dynamic props aren't updated it can stay low. But in this case, why use dynamic props in the first place ? If it's for enabling/disabling them there is no work around, but if it's to allow them to project dynamic shadows (I suppose props players do this), a shadow_controller removing dynamic shadows should make static and dynamic props indistinguishable (as it's the case on persia)

13. pascal mapper

i have vbct and its good to work whit whit extra futures .. and as you will see what area portal flow dos do sv_cheats 1 (on) and typ mat_wireframe 3 in the console and you see what heppens i have it on/in my map only in the house

14. Geit Coding wizard!

Warehouse uses a fairly complex randomiser system that involves props being enabled/disabled, so dynamic is required. you can check out the VMF in the "Randomiser Tutorial" thread.

15. In this case, that makes perfectly sense.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. prop_dynamic

2. prop_static vs prop_dynamic

3. prop_Static or prop_dynamic

4. TF2 prop_dynamic,
  5. prop_dynamic vs prop_static,
  6. tf2 dynamic props,
  7. prop_dynamic ornament,
  8. prop_dynamic prop_static,
  9. tf2 prop_static,
  10. prop dynamic ornament