PSU problem

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software' started by Ravioli, 14 Jul 2013.

1. Ravioli what?

Okay, so it wasn't THAT long ago since I bought my new PSU. And always when i start it it makes a sound that something is in the way for the fan itself in it, but there's nothing there. I have no idea where the sound comes from. I just opened it and found nothing that shouldn't be there.

Hope anyone have a clue of what it could be, the sound goes away after a while (can be from 1 min to 1 hour)

I could also get a picture if that's totally needed.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. nlspeed Rex Omnium Imperarum

See, you should have kept me. I told you, but did you listen? No. And now you get this. Well, I'm done running on a treadmill for you, so tough luck!

3. Ravioli what?

Then i'd rather have changed to this one which actually can give the enough energy source to my pc, than have you as PSU and sit with my PC turned off. :P

4. Rioter Mad man box wearing lunatic for President

You opened it up.

I'd it's a new one, say goodbye to your warranty because you just voided it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Douglas Douglas x 1
    • List
  5. Ravioli what?

Why would that be gone because I opened it?

6. Because it's classed as tampering and altering goods.
    The same goes if you buy a store bought PC and then open up the sides, if the seal is broken (if it had one) it's just classed as voided warranty D:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Ravioli what?

Nono, mine did not had one of those "if the seal is broken" I checked that before first of course.

8. Is it a, dare I say 'brutal' whirring sound when you first start your PC up, which goes away after a while?

9. Ravioli what?

It always starts when I start up my PC. Then it continues for a while, then it's gone.

10. What PSU did you buy exactly?

Be very fucking careful of the fan seizing (without enough case airflow you'll get a wonderful smell from the psu and some smoke), if there's nothing touching the fan and it's making a noise like that, the bearing is probably fucked

11. Ravioli what?

Bought an FSP 650-80EGN 650W 80+ gold, Bulk. Bought it around 8th june somewhere there, so I've had it over 1 month. But no smoke or weird smells from it. And now when I opened it, and carefully placed it back, it sounds just as it should, and it doesn't smell or smoke or anything.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Dec 2016
  12. While FSP make excellent industrial and server PSUs, their consumer ones can be a bit hit-and-miss

You wouldn't smell anything from it unless it actually overheats, which realistically is probably only going to happen in a top-mounted case with shit airflow and while under high load. Also you can usually smell PSUs overheating long before they take permanent damage or explode.

If it sounds fine now and you can see the fan spinning ok, then there's absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

13. Dan Chief Detective at GM Police HQ - Jagex #1 Fan!

corsair master race

14. Corsair are just resellers, and they've gone to the dogs since they dropped the old CX400, HX650/750/850 and TX650/750/850

FSP are one of like 3 companies that actually sell the PSUs they make themselves (along with Seasonic and PC P&C)

15. Dan Chief Detective at GM Police HQ - Jagex #1 Fan!

HX850 master race

16. Mine does the same, and as stupid as it sounds once i've got rid of all the dust in my case and around my fans it seems to work fine.
    if this doesn't work then i'm sorry I can't give you any more advice D:

17. Ravioli what?

It was a small piece of plastic, maybe 1-2 mm, so that's where it came from. And the fan have always spinned perfectly. But thanks anyway tho, it's appreciated with help.

18. Ravioli what?

It's cool, I figured it out by my self. And it's only 1 month old, don't think it's because of dust. but thanks anyway duker :)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)