Server failure

Discussion in 'Server/Website Chat' started by Dark, 29 Oct 2013.

1. tl;dr this is a backup server, main server has exploded

And anyone looking to play on our TF2 servers: you'll have to wait until next week Mon 4th Tuesday at the earliest a while.

Not a clue what is wrong with the dedi, but something is very much on the way out. It's behaving as if a RAM stick was failing, but it passed 2 hours of memtest with no errors. Basically it's fucked and will not boot anything without kernel panics, won't respond to the BIOS setup key (but does respond to other keys at bios level such as boot menu) and even randomly freezes on the GRUB menu.

I've restored a backup of the forum and mumble that hopefully isn't too far out of date on to a secondary server. That's what you are seeing now. Of course this will be the 'master' copy, and when the main server is eventually fixed, it will be transferred over.

The following services are available:
    • Mumble
    • DNS
    • Email
    • gamingmasters.org forum
    • imgkk.com existing images only
    • Various internal dependencies such as mysql, memcached, etc

The following services are unavailable (non-exhaustive list):
    • Every other website hosted on the server
    • FTP
    • DSock network (incl Kirino etc)
    • All game servers
    • Prophunt Stats (not enough horsepower available to handle the database)
    • HLstatsX (again lack of power)
    • Sourcebans (pointless)

Please note that the forum will likely be pretty slow, as it's running on (and I shit you not) a 1.2ghz single core celeron.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2013
    • Wizard Wizard x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  2. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. I haven't decided what to do yet, and any advice/help would be appreciated.

As far as I can see, these are the options:

1. Pay for courier to ship server back to me, chalk it up to experience, give any working parts to the dog, rent a server elsewhere and upload all data. ETA: 2-5 days + another IP change. Cost: ~£50/month indefinitely + £40 shipping
    2. Pay for courier to ship server back to me, diagnose problem by gutting blue's pc for parts, replace faulty part(s) with server grade equivalent, pay for courier to ship server to datacenter. ETA: ~14 days. Cost: £60-100 shipping, £50-200 parts, £300 optional KVM
    3. Buy new CPU, RAM, motherboard and fit them somehow. ETA: 3-14 days. Cost: £500 parts (incl IPMI so no need for KVM) + travel costs if applicable
    4. Order a motherfucking prebuilt server directly to the datacenter and get the disks moved over. ETA: 7-14 days. Cost: £1000-1500.
    5. Convince Justin to let me put my disks in one of the old spare Supermicro servers. ETA: as soon as I finish using it for other purposes (aka 1-2 weeks). Cost: £0. Likely would have to sacrifice a large number of gameservers and I'd be amazed if anything more than 24 slots per server ran smoothly.

Annoyingly there is a fair bit of data that is not remotely backed up, not really sure how to handle that.

Last edited: 29 Oct 2013
  4. nlspeed Rex Omnium Imperarum

It's just a gigantic list of 'Banned by: HellJack'. :P

5. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

Well there is an option, but it's a rough one.

Some servers do offer Premium Accounts for a small, monthly fee.

Something like £5/monthly for access to the Propmenu. You could offer a 6 to 12 month discount.

Just a thought.

6. Added a couple more options above

My brain is completely full of fuck, this is a nightmare

7. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

Well, like Arrk just said to me in Mumble...the most expensive option looks to be the most reliable.

We could have a Support GM Fund Drive to pay the £1000-1500.

8. Dan Chief Detective at GM Police HQ - Jagex #1 Fan!

I don't think paying for a server should be an option. This 'free' deal is wayyyyy too good to give up on. Say it costs £100 for shipping, in two months, you got your money back. Plus, your server is a fucking long term deal, you could use this for years. that's a fuck tonne of money.

If it was me, I'd pay the up front fee, bring it home, fix 'er up, send it back to Justin. I'd also take the opportunity to upgrade too probably, because you're not going to get another chance to take it apart yourself, so you might as well if it'll keep it running for a few more years in the future.

9. mhm these are exactly my thoughts

i'm just not sure if it would be better to travel to london myself or get a trustworthy GM member to perform the upgrades/swaps, rather than shipping it via courier.

courier pros:

- More time to work at it and diagnose the problem
    - Potentially less cost as only the faulty part need be replaced

courier cons:

- Ridiculously expensive to fully insure the shipping. Was about £50 originally for one-way shipping with only £500 insurance
    - Not sure what to do about the hard disks. If they are lost or damaged, shit will seriously hit the fan
    - It might be an incredibly simple issue to fix. I've seen some evidence of a similar issue (where RAM is ruled out) being resolved by simply resetting the CMOS, something which I'm still trying to manage remotely. Running absolutely 24/7 for >2 years then shutting down for 12 hours may have confused things.
    - Have to provide packaging materials

10. Gaw discord is my friend now

Would be inclined to agree with Dan. Option 1 seems silly, given the huge opportunity of free co-lo. Option 3 appears to be option 2 but you fly to London instead of getting the dedi shipped over. Option 4 while convenient, is crazy expensive - you would end up paying the majority of it yourself. Option 5 I would consider a last resort if option 2 doesn't work out.

As for courier vs flight, I would work out the costs associated with each.

11. Option 5 isn't all that bad, especially if I get both of them.

Specs are Xeon E5506 (2.13GHz Nehalem series) and 24GB RAM, each

12. Dan Chief Detective at GM Police HQ - Jagex #1 Fan!

Get it shipped. You have all the time in the world to sit around and tinker with it yourself.

If you fly over there what are you going to do? Sleep in the data centre?

Get it shipped to your house, you have Amazon Prime, all your computer needs are a next day delivery away if it needs anything.

13. if only server grade parts were that easy to buy in the uk :P

have to go to wanker trade sellers like lambda-tek

14. Priced out a few components:

Option A:

Decent server-grade motherboard: £160-200
    IPMI/IP-KVM addon board: £30-50
    CPU: £210+ (210 for same ghz as current, probably faster though because haswell)
    RAM: £150 for 16GB, £260+ for 32GB

Option B:

New shite motherboard: £60-100
    optional Lantronix SpiderDuo: £230
    optional Lantronix single PCU: £45-80

Option A would be a nice upgrade and is overall the more reliable option
    Option B is the pussy way out

Last edited: 29 Oct 2013
  15. Humpers GM's Resident #420 Twatmeister General

Would go with Option A. You've invested a fucktonne into these servers and you'll make that money back soon enough anyway, I'm pretty sure none of us would complain if that money went to you rather than into the servers over the next few months so that it makes up what you paid. On top of that it means that the servers are going to be decent in the coming years compared to what they would have been without an update.

16. So is there anyone local to London that knows how to build a PC? :V

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • List
  17. Flights are pretty fucking reasonable actually

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Sexual Tension Sexual Tension x 1
    • List
  18. Falsey John, the Goldfish: Never Forgotten

:-)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 7
    • List
  19. In a world where everything is relative I'd say I live in Denmark but money for plane ticket is an issue :V

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Douglas Douglas x 1
    • List
  20. Humpers GM's Resident #420 Twatmeister General

I'm sorry but where is the logic there? Dark's closer to London than you are...

21. It was a joke...

22. Falsey John, the Goldfish: Never Forgotten

I've grown up under the impression that jokes are suppose to be funny

• Bad Spelling x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Mad x 1
    • List
  23. Could have fooled me.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)