Tf2 server performance

Discussion in 'Server/Website Chat' started by Dark, 12 Nov 2012.

1. I can't really judge because the packet loss on my wifi is so high at peak times due to contention, so I'd appreciate it if people could answer these questions:

- How would you rate the server quality on a scale of 1-10 before the major system overhaul 1 week ago?
    - How would you rate the server quality on a scale of 1-10 today?

*server quality = constant lag, server fps, lagspikes, hit registration, etc.

Also note that I am interested in times from 11am to 4am UTC; outside that window there are many cpu intensive tasks running such as backup.

And I would expect a difference in the values - from what I can see the server fps has improved, and judging by my VPN speed, the overall network performance has improved by more than 2x. But on the other hand, load averages are up by 2-4x - this may be a bug in our new kernel, or a bug in the old. Strongly suspect the latter but could be wrong.

2. Server quality over a week ago was - to use a technical term - pretty wank. Orange was the most obvious due to it being populated regularly enough to give a decent comparison, but the couple of times I played Dustbowl the jittering and lagspikes resulted in a thoroughly frustrating time.

Not been on it in the last fortnight so can't comment on it since the overhaul, but I'll see if I can pop on this week to take a look.

3. NomNom Chompski BURNING LOVEEEE

Still get the lag spikes on Orange like

4. Interval?

5. I used to get a 100-120 ping
    Now I get a 190+ ping
    I am pretty sure Its not from my internet connection or my computer.
    Edit: I tried the #9 2fort server. Same ping.

6. Bagman Some cunt on the internet

I tend to get some lag just as I join the Orange server, very noticeable hitches.
    Ping is from 40-60, can't quite remember if it was lower before.
    Unable to comment on the more or less empty servers

7. The issues appear to be in networking, the server fps is insanely good

8. Can someone with a good wired connection check if they are getting choke please?

9. ima Bean Go ham or go home.

I get lags as I join servers.
    Ping still stays at 5 <3

10. coffeejunky GM's Tea-boy

Choke (0-1) and ping (17-35) fine on Prophunt, players online, 15. Orange has moderate choke on login (20-40 for a period of about 3 seconds) and higher than 0 choke when respawning and passing the spawn wall (20 or so, again for about 2 seconds). Getting the odd lag/choke pocket at random on orange too. Players on orange 27.
    Tested on my wired connection, which is super stable as far as ping, I get the same ping now on prophunt as I did back in 2010.
    Seems ok to me.

11. Miz

Those shits exist in every tf2 server. No matter where its hosted at.

12. Gaw discord is my friend now

Very true. Orange is also absolutely horribly optimized, it'd be better to do any testing on a different server. The servers do seem to be fine though, from what I have experienced.

13. Yeah this is probably more due to the map, unless I'm mistaken the optimisation is non existent to the extent all players must be sent all other players position etc. at all times

Perhaps the minrate is not adequate, will have to investigate this

14. NomNom Chompski BURNING LOVEEEE

Put on Loll's better version, it runs alot smoother than the normal se2 map on my server

15. My ping seems to be fine now.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. tf2 server lags when populated

2. tf2 orange server lag