the updates killed me

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by The Xtractor, 20 Aug 2009.

1. Re: the updates killed me

Can't play on any server with more than ~15 people. If I do try to join, I get a fps of ~5..
    And it's not like my pc is old, bought it a couple of months ago.
    (core i7, nvidia geforce 9800GT, 6 gig DDR3)

2. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

Re: the updates killed me

Not really, read up some reviews on this P4 model and apparently it's naturally very hot, even with a high end cooling system.
    But when it was sat at 100c+ it still ran perfectly fine.

3. Re: the updates killed me

Just an experiment - create a 32 slot listen server, sv_cheats 1, +showbudget, add 31 bots and take a screenshot while looking at the bots and while looking away.

4. Longbow Victorique <3

Erm, just got that speedfan thing. Comp was idle and i got this

[​IMG]

Dunno what it means though :O

halpz?

5. Re: the updates killed me

Those temps are fine.

6. Knud Phat beats only

Sounds more like a driver issue.
    Plus, that VGA card is not bad at all, but very underpowered in comparison with that i7 CPU ^_^

Check new drivers for chipset, lan, vga.

And for the speedfan users, try also CoreTemp. It's more accurate + multicore support. + G15 plugin.

7. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

The intention was to update the source engine for additional effects (i think), but ye, it sux if the settings the users are used to use (funny sentence ^^) arent working with the same frames per second as before .....

I really havent recognized a difference anyways (my config:
    Core i7 940 @ 3,73 Ghz, 3x 2 GiB DDR3-1600, 2x GTX 285 OC), so i am a bit supprised about this, was allready wondering why i havent seen you in a while on the server :/

Stupid Valve gits .... why ruining the game experience for some of the users ?! :(

Wut ?! o_O Omg, what has Valve done ?! Havent played today, ill check now if it runs as horrible as you described there ...

8. Gaw discord is my friend now

:suicide:

9. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

OK, played "a bit" yesterday (as usual ;) ), and i havent got any problems there, should be your PC, Seyriu :/

10. Geit Coding wizard!

Valve has some serious issues with TF2 and it's optimization, some old computers can run it on high settings, and some new, high-enders can't even run it on dxlevel 8.

I personally, think they should hold back the next update so that they can finish off multicore support, and optizmize the game a little more. (Yes, you read that right, your multi-core CPU is no good in tf2, it only uses one core[And multicore doesn't work correctly])

11. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

Ye, but its not just about the ammount of working cores, architecture, clocking etc. is important as well, tried to play TF2 on one of my older PCs (X2 4200+ / 2GB DDR1/ 7800 GTX - now working as my HTPC, but with a 9600 GT) and it was running like shit ..... not beacuse of the graphics card, but the CPU, if there were 10+ players on the screen, the FPS fropped down into the basement or so .... and if it has comed to the Big-Bäng (stickys ^^) with exploding sentrys etc., the game seem to stoped rendering for a moment xD

And ye, its the CPU that seems to count, tested the 7800GTX once together with a Q9550, some settings were on max, some on middle, and it worked perfectly.

12. Geit Coding wizard!

That's what I was getting at Oba, a fast single core processor, is more likely to be able to run tf2 @ max than a slower multi-core

13. Gaw discord is my friend now

Well that just proves that TF2 relies too much on graphics, and not enough on *the cores of your CPU*

I mean, that works awesomely for me, as I have a 3 core machine, but @ 3.2GHz, and a nice 512mb graphics card. Not overkill, but.. just right!

But I would have thought an i7 rig would just demolish TF2, and you would be able to noclip everywhere because of it's awesomeness..

Did you build the computer yourself, or did you buy it from a company like dell pre-made?

Because.. No one need's a 940 i7.. There is absolutely no point in getting a 940, a clocked 920 does it better, and hell of alot cheaper.

And you can even reach the status of 920 by a different, clocked quad core, so I think you spent way too much money on that rig. It's complete overkill.

Sure, it's future-proof.. But man..

14. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

Erm...
    TF2 relies more on the CPU than the GPU at it's current stage...

And it's killing some of them due to poor optimistations.

15. Gaw discord is my friend now

*objection*

16. Reag My name is an anagram for a reason

[​IMG]

I don't think so.

17. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

Are you kidding me ?! I would NEVER EVER buy a pre-build rig, especially not from Dell >_>

The reason why i am using an i7 940 ...... i got it for half the price ! ^^ Someone that works in a bigger PC company organized it for me .... legal, but: no more comment.

And an i7 @ 3,73 Ghz is NOT overkill, im encoding full subed Animes for a fan sub group, am converting stuff for my iPhone with it, etc. .... imo i need the power, because i really feel a difference between my former Q9550 @ 3,8 and the Core i7 940 in the programms i use (well, not in games, except GTA4 xD) ..... anyways, with the next semester we'll start with CAD, and i have the impression, that the i7 will serve me well there at "training" a bit at home ......

Btw: Cant wait for Intel's Hexa-Core processor, Core i9, that coming in Q1/2010. I talked with an Intel engineer (one of the i7 developers !!!) on the GC a bit about the stuff they will realease within the next 12 months .... he gave me some info about Larrabee, just wait for it, in 3 months we'll be all surprised ("Just wait, noone believed us that we could beat our rival with the Core 2 Duo, and in the end, we were right with the performance promises we made to the people") ... <3

18. Re: the updates killed me

Wish I had an i7 :<

Although I suppose I do get 100 FPS in 32 slot spamfests since the update (60-70 before), so I'm happy :D

19. Obaruler German Rager/Spamer

Well, as i said: I had a nice talk with an intel engineer on the GC, after half an hour he told me something about "Sandy Bridge", their next microprocessor architecture after the Core2Duo and the Core i7 ..... he said, it will be exactly like the "jump" from Pentium4's Netburst to the Core2Duo archtiecture, a great performance increase ....

He wasnt really allowed to tell me more, but he told me, that ill sure want to update to it as soon as possible if they launch them, he promised me an insane performance boost, that outperforms the Core i7 -> \o/ *yay

Some other nice thing he told me: Core i9 is supposed to fit into the 1366 socket, and some pricey boards should be able to run it with just a BIOS update ...... *ole ole, Hexa-Core, singin* ^^

20. Gaw discord is my friend now

sexa-core sex is sexy

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)