Upcoming server move

Discussion in 'Server/Website Chat' started by Dark, 18 Oct 2013.

1. Cannot fucking believe how much Arch has matured since the initial systemd move

Worked perfectly on first boot, didn't even need KVM, and the only broken things are things I compiled outside the Arch Build System

One hour of merging configs compared to tens of hours reinstalling any non-rolling release distro in order to perform an update this significant

And to top it off, everything is performing far better. Boot speed went from ~5 minutes to 20 seconds, RAM usage is down several GB, forums are about 50% faster page generation (may be due to low load but still) and osu! is running at about 50% higher fps for osurecord

arch best server os 2013

2. Generally happy with the state of things now, have fired up the gameservers for tomorrow

3. - Added announcement on dsock every 5 mins (sorry for slothbox spam)
    - Added sv_tags tags 'gamingmasters.org' and 'gaming masters' to assist in finding servers in main list

• Wizard Wizard x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. Humpers GM's Resident #420 Twatmeister General

Would also suggest adding just 'gamingmasters'. Or would that come up anyway when searching for 'gamingmasters.org'?

5. tried adding that too, dunno if it worked

6. - Recovery partitions updated with new static ip
    - Set up a temporary vpn for myself that isnt unusably slow so that i actually have internet during this

Awaiting word to update primary ip and poweroff

7. Primary IP has been updated as it's after 3pm and i've heard nothing

8. Approx 3 hours until we're on the new ip

I'll be switching DNS as soon as the downtime starts, TTL is currently 2 hours so barring any dumb caching the site, mumble, etc should be immediately available for all when the server comes back

• Like Like x 1
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
    • List
  9. i'm scared

hold me

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Sexual Tension Sexual Tension x 1
    • List
  10. Starting much later than expected it appears

DNS has been updated already, so the site will probably become unavailable for most soon

11. Annnnnd we're back

Pings are down about 5-6ms

SSH and FTP are a fucking joy to use now at 15ms ping, 2responsive5me

If you can't connect to mumble it's a problem on your end, make sure the ip is gamingmasters.org

12. Unsurprisingly there is almost zero traffic to the gameservers

13. Cactus The key is to never give up

Have you done announcements in our steam groups? Including the prophunt one?

14. Will do that tomorrow at some point

I'm experimenting with redirect/fake servers atm, it appears only one way NAT is necessary to appear in the favourites list (thank you valve for your overly permissive udp), so it should be possible to get some (unjoinable) servers up with server names explaining the situation

15. DNS resolution has been fixed, might be a bit dodgy slow for the next 48 hours

Last edited: 20 Oct 2013
  16. Justin has worked his routing magic and we have motherfucking two-way NAT of 81.19.212.48 to 81.19.218.132 for the next 2 days

Literally amazed this was possible

17. Mole45 Dance Little Liar

My ping is down to 2ms.
    Sir, you are a wizard.

18. A notification server is now up and listening on 81.19.212.48 ports 27015 to 31000 (aka a lot of ports)

Can everyone confirm it appears ok in favourites?

19. Also, any suggestions to improve the text are welcome. The number of characters available is about 64

20. The gamingmasters.org domain is now inaccessible, possibly indefinitely without Core's help, because the dns root servers are fucking retarded

Last edited: 27 Nov 2013

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)