Vertigo 2 (Sequel to my previous Flash game)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jindo, 31 Jul 2011.

1. Jindo Just Look at the Parking Lot, Larry.

[​IMG]

I don't know how up to date I kept you guys with my previous project, but I ended up releasing it to various sites and it ended up getting around.

So just a couple of days ago I officially started work on the sequel, mainly the level editor. I finished the level editor just earlier and you can mess around with it here (There is no way of sharing creations just yet other than taking screenshots, but the actual placement of tiles section is fully functional) (Press 1 for walls, 2 for spikes and 3 for background tiles, hold CTRL to delete tiles)

I thought I'd post progress and stuff here as I advance with development of the game mostly because I find that the people who aren't making the game are much sharper at spotting problems and generally contributing to the polishing of the game, plus I'm hoping you'll find something interesting in my processes and endeavours behind the making of it.

If you have any questions regarding the game itself or the level editor, feel free to ask. Here is a video from the first Vertigo game to give you an idea of gameplay.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2014
    • Like Like x 9
    • Wizard Wizard x 5
    • List
  2. I just love the fact that it's a llama :awesome:

3. Jindo Just Look at the Parking Lot, Larry.

If anyone's feeling creative, here's the template tileset: The game no longer uses this feature unfortunately.

[​IMG]

And here's a version of the level editor that lets you test your tileset:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6950409/fe/VertigoTileTest.html

When you want to test your creation, upload it to an image hosting site, then go to the test above and paste the image's link where told (lower-left) and click 'TEST', your tileset should now appear in the flash; use this to make sure the tiles tile.

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Dec 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
    • List
  4. Jindo Just Look at the Parking Lot, Larry.

Progress!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6950409/fe/Vertigo2.html

The game's first playable level is complete, I've been working relentlessly the last few days to get the level editor + level loading scripts working.

The level editor so far is limited to just black and red squares, I may leave it this way depending on how bored I eventually get. You can place tiles with left-mouse click and use the scroll wheel to change between tiles. Pressing X will bring up a menu that lets you save and load level codes in to the editor. There is currently no way of testing levels (but I can implement them manually meanwhile.)

The test level is what most of the work has been put in to over the past couple of days as I've made it to read the level code, generate the appropriate blocks, and then add the details to make the level look nicer. I still need to work on implementing vegetation but for the most part it's looking good in my opinion!

The test level includes an interface (timer, death count, switch count etc), breakable crates and multiple rooms to the level. The next step is to get the engine to move on to the next level after completion (the player freezes currently.)

---

To recap:

LEVEL EDITOR CONTROLS:
    • Scroll wheel to flick between tiles
    • Left-click to place tiles
    • Hold CTRL and left-click to delete tiles
    • Press X to bring up "the menu box", follow instructions accordingly to get your level code/load another level.
    • WASD keys to switch between rooms.
    • Up and Down keys to switch between different crates (when the crate tool is selected)
    IN-GAME CONTROLS:
    • Arrow keys to move (WASD will be added eventually)
    • Space to flip
    • Jump on crates to break them, different crates get different rewards (the llama head one doesn't yet work as its uses haven't been implemented yet)
    • Press Z to place checkpoints (acquired from crates)
    My best time on the level demo is 00:27, and 00:48 with all crates collected. New test level, 00:33 is the pro time.

If I've missed anything or you have questions, ask away!

• Like Like x 2
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
    • List
  5. Jindo Just Look at the Parking Lot, Larry.

Most major bugs in the core gameplay are fixed, I encourage you to try out the new test level.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6950409/fe/Vertigo2.html (There may be a blank screen for a moment while it loads the audio, I'm currently working to remove it as this was just a test)

Your time to beat is 00:33, also bragging rights to anyone who collects all the crates or completes the level without dying.

6. Cactus The key is to never give up

Why are you a blue box? If I recall, in vertigo 1, I was a llama

7. Jindo Just Look at the Parking Lot, Larry.

Place holder, I will get right on with making some llama sprites!

8. Jindo Just Look at the Parking Lot, Larry.

First legitimate update of 2012, graphics updates:

[​IMG]

The new graphics are on the bottom screenshot, still some ironing out to do with regards to the background blocks flowing better but overall I think this is a huge improvement.

In a couple of months from now I'll be working on this with full force and regular updates (probably in the form of YouTube videos), very excited to be returning to this project especially as it begins to take shape with every tweak and adjustment I throw at it.

EDIT: Latest progress is that I've worked on the level editor to display the same pleasing visuals as the levels (no more black and red squares), I should also note that none of these changes have been published to the DropBox version yet but it's all on its way.

• Wizard Wizard x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  9. Jindo Just Look at the Parking Lot, Larry.

New enemy in progress: The leap frog.

[​IMG]

• Frequently leaps, with pauses between leaps upon landing.
    • Attacks with long tongue if player is too close.
    • Can drop/leap "through" ground to reach the player.
    • Jumping on forces a leap.

• Like Like x 5
    • Wizard Wizard x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Jindo Just Look at the Parking Lot, Larry.

[​IMG]

Spent the last hour implementing the leap frog in to the game, managed to get it to work almost exactly as I'd hoped first try which is rare for me. (Almost, the screenshot you see isn't a freeze frame, the frogs are genuinely trapped in the ground due to a bug.)

Since I was revising for a mechanics exam I have this coming week I decided to try and employ some techniques from it on the leap frog's movement. Using equations for movement with constant acceleration I've made the leap frogs so that they leap directly toward the player in a projectile curve shape, they were nearly impossible to dodge until I limited their horizontal movement.

I plan to upload a video tonight showing them in action, I might even be able to upload an updated version of the link for people to mess with (which will include a nicer looking level editor + some more interesting test levels)

EDIT: Here's a video!

11. Jindo Just Look at the Parking Lot, Larry.

• Wizard Wizard x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. But the rest was SO GOOD!

Good luck :)

13. Jindo Just Look at the Parking Lot, Larry.

It was! I was very happy with the progress I was making especially with including a level editor and having multiple rooms per level.

Most of my decisions to return to the original game's style were a result of the game's revival on Kongregate last month. Since then I've been rethinking this game and how I want to make it, and the verdict is essentially to go with a remake of Vertigo 1 but with different (and more) levels/worlds, more challenges, a use for coins, trophies that work, and other more minor improvements.

To reiterate, it's still a sequel with a story that continues from the first game, but the level design will probably stay as it was. Environments are going to get crazier and more imaginative though and I'll probably go all out and use Photoshop for the levels.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
    • List

14. Sounds awesome, will look forward to seeing where you go with it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Fire ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) WHAT DO YOU MEAAAAN

18 seconds WOOOOOO...Keep up the work Jindo =3

16. Jindo Just Look at the Parking Lot, Larry.

Update - World 1 Complete

The end of world screen doesn't show you your results yet, working on this. Share your scores!

17. Jindo Just Look at the Parking Lot, Larry.

World 2 was also finished yesterday, I don't remember if I updated the Dropbox version or not. Regardless, here's a screenshot of World 3 in progress:

[​IMG]

18. nlspeed Rex Omnium Imperarum

I always wonder how people get such awesome graphics.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Jindo Just Look at the Parking Lot, Larry.

Will upload a current version at some point today, here's the current progress:

• Worlds 1 - 3 complete
    • Powers available: Laser eyes and Double switch
    • There is now an option on the World Select page to pick and choose from your power-ups which ones you want to take with you to the next world.
    Still to do before I upload:

• Add an indicator of what needs to be obtained to unlock a world.
    • Display total coins gathered on the world select screen.
    • Display names of the power-ups on the power selection menu.
    Will post a screenshot shortly of another World 3 level.

EDIT:

[​IMG]

Current Version!

20. Jindo Just Look at the Parking Lot, Larry.

World 4 screenshot:

[​IMG]

The eyes open and shut every time the player switches.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. vertigo 2 flash game