We're doing well!

Discussion in 'Server/Website Chat' started by Geit, 21 May 2009.

1. Geit Coding wizard!

We're doing well!

Since the change in management we have seen a three-fold increase in the popularity of our servers, a vast amount of new players of every day (~800) and I expect they will get even more popular when the Spy/Sniper update hits.

We have also been able to completely reconfigure our servers, giving greater performance and reliability (Mostly - We are sporting 3 full 32 man servers on some nights on a cpu intensive game, you have to expect some hiccups.)

I also feel that the community and atmosphere on the servers has been getting better since members and regulars no longer feel the need to play as if it were a competitive server.

The new management is also going well, with very few conflicts of opinion.

So? how do you think we're doing as a management team and as a "Open Gaming community"

2. Fromage "The Cheese"

Re: We're doing well!

Still think there are some flaws in the performance on the servers (especially on late evenings on GM#3 DB) and I think you should either consider more dedicaed server-power in order to have that many servers up.

If it's lack of fundings that is the problem I wouldn't have a problem to donate some from now and then.

Erik

3. Spykodemon Disabled account

We could do with another dedi, although £100/month is alot, and we don't want to rob people. :) So yeah it's a funding problem.

4. Re: We're doing well!

It's nothing to do with a lack of CPU power - Killing Floor (ut2004 engine) servers were flawless alongside major lag on TF2 (but strangely not ZPS).

I suspect HLstatsX.

Also I have made many huge improvements to the way Imgkk connects to MySQL and Memcache, resulting in lower CPU usage and no more MySQL connection rejections (as can be seen here on the forums as Database Error).

I'm also tracking down some mysterious connections (localhost; not a hacker) the the old forum database, even after taking the whole thing offline via htaccess :S

5. Geit Coding wizard!

We have a patch on the way to fix mega cpu rape from the tf2 servers. i'll inform you here when it goes live, but like i said, the dedi can't handle 3x32 man servers without breaking a sweat.

And 2 gmod servers sure as hell doesn't help it.

@Dark, the tf2 servers are pushing cpu usage to 80% on a regular basis, i think that's where the lag is from.

6. Fromage "The Cheese"

If I had a small quiet server PC at home I would be happy to put it up as another GM server (for free.) To bad I don't have it or cash for it... Speedwise I think my 100mbit would do for a dedi.

@Geit:

You haven't considered to remove the "less popular" servers? To be honest I'd rather see some of the most popular ones work instead of having 10 that is lagging. It's not worth it and it might piss people off and they go to other servers.

Erik

7. Longbow Victorique <3

As i've said in many other threads, the change of management has been a great refreshment. Give yourselves a pat on the back ;)

8. Spykodemon Disabled account

We have tried that already, I havn't seen a difference, surely you havn't either, haha. :P

9. Re: We're doing well!

Holy shit, I want your connection :(

Even a cheap server would work well - just build some shitty machine with whatever spare parts you have and maybe invest in some RAM (2-4gb) and a nice quad core cpu :)

Also empty servers do nothing but eat RAM, and during normal use we have 1gb free.

10. Geit Coding wizard!

Unpopular servers with no-one on them use very very little resources (0% cpu, 100 MB ram.)

11. Fromage "The Cheese"

Give me cash and i'll do that!! :) hehe.. well i have been looking for it a little but it's out of my budget at the moment.

Erik

12. The Xtractor Certified Weeaboo

i disagree, why would half GM left if there were few conflicts.

13. Spykodemon Disabled account

Because they didn't want GM to change. :)

And 4 people isn't half of GM. ;)

14. Re: We're doing well!

A quick changelog:

- MySQL updated to 5.1.34
    - Many MySQL settings set to the values they should have had a long time ago (there was next to no RAM reserved for caching etc. D: )
    - wait_timeout set to 20 (was 999999 lol) - this might have screwed up DarkiSock. I merged a fix from TSM 0.3.0 into our one which should let it work around the limit.
    - Imgkk now uses persistant MySQL and Memcache connections due to its high rate of hits.
    - Imgkk hit logging system moved to Memcache, meaning over 99% (something like 99.8%) of images served can be done so with only a Memcache connection; no need to connect to MySQL. This has been the biggest performance boost, with MySQL CPU usage down from over 10% in some cases to just 1-2% :D

15. Re: We're doing well!

I have yet to see what it is like in reality (i.e. on TF2), but from Task Manager and SHOW FULL PROCESSLIST, the dedi looks a lot happier. :)

16. Re: We're doing well!

I have yet to meet dedi that Darki cannot fix...
    Maybe... *sniff*... maybe.

17. gig

i think there have been some big improvements over the past month or so, i reckon you could benefit further from supporting a wider variety of games/mods on a more permanent basis to bring in more/new people though.

18. Geit Coding wizard!

You fail to understand, i meant within the management itself, the members losses are regrettable, but we can live.

19. SnuggleMuffin SnuggleMuffin

I feel the same <3<3<3<33<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<33<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
    <3<3<3<3<33<3<3<<3<3<3<3

20. Re: We're doing well!

Hey my names is Kenneth

What changed on the servers since the new management started

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)